Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Let's get started already! I'm thirsty

I'll keep this short so i can get to the beer.


WELCOME TO THE FIRE SALE OF ALE! I'm not actually selling ale, I'm consuming it. Maybe not in unreasonable quantities, but over the course of the year to come I will be drinking as many different brands and types of "Beer" as I can. No fewer than 100 is my goal, and my wallet is the limit!

My Brother in-law Kim (http://thekimtowngazette.blogspot.com/ ...I'm sure I will learn to plug other blogs with more finesse as the year progresses) first gave me the idea by mentioning he was attempting to drink 100 beers in a year, and also my lovely girlfriend Nicole gave me a great book for my birthday this summer : Beers of British Columbia; A Guide to Micro/Macro Breweries, Brewpubs and Their Beers. which will be a massive aid to me, along with other books i will be reading in order to hone my tasting abilities. I also hope to learn to appreciate and enjoy beer more than I already do, as well as to gain knowledge by tasting. I also expect to become more proficient and accurate with my beer assessments. HOWEVER; everything stated in this blog is purely the result of my own opinion. The brewer of these beverages clearly know what they are doing, I'm just letting you know what my tongue and nose are telling my brain and fingers to relate to you!

let's begin the journey.

I will be covering a lot of lagers and ales this year, but I will be focusing mainly on Canadian Micro brews, and established European brews that are made available to me. Luckily I'm living smack in the middle of an area rich in microbreweries, brewpubs and some great beer specific stores!


Alright, now then. The first of many will be "White Bark" Wheat Ale by the Driftwood Brewery in Victoria B.C.

It is a classic example of what you would call a Wheat Beer, or more traditionally a "Wit" beer.

What the bottle is telling me:"As a traditional Belgian-style Wit, this beer is intended to be cloudy.Subtle malt allows the floral essence of coriander and Curacao orange peel from the West Indies to balance the profile of this distinguished ale.


The Look: It beautifully unfiltered light gold colour that makes me salivate at a glance.



The Scent: I'm picking up a bit of a spicy/peppery kind of smell on this. which i would assume is the coriander. As well a as a beautiful aroma of bread....or yeast at least. I love that! It reminds my of one of my favourite wines "Goldener Oktober".



The Feel, The Taste: Hmmmm, this doesn't often happen with food and drink; but it tastes the same as it smells more or less. The coriander really comes through, and though I'm not usually a fan of it, but it adds a really nice...texture and flavour(obviously) to this drink. I can taste the orange peel in intervals, first right away when it touches the tongue then again after the coriander fades away.



My Findings at the bottom of the glass: This is a very nice Wheat Ale, I have tried a few before and I haven't had one I didn't like. They are great in the summer, but I'd have one any time. This one has a unique flavour to it, more so than more I've had before which are more "citrusy". This one I think is more complex, and I appreciate that very much. Although, it isn't too good to gulp. Goes down smooth like a Wit Beer should. Now for the rest of the bottle!


(pssst! what did you think? I'd love to know! Also, please let me know of some great beers you've had and if I can get them I'll drink them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment